Thursday, August 20, 2009

PowerPoint

PowerPoint is one of my favourite programs to use. This feels like the one technology I actually know about and feel confident using already. I have used many PowerPoint’s for engaging my peers in presentations at university and I have also used PowerPoint’s within the classroom. Although I have already had positive experiences with PowerPoint I do think that I could better use this technology to engage students if I did more research into the different aspects of the program.

It has been my experience that PowerPoint’s are often used to engage the learners at the start of a lesson (just like a video). This technology offers so many possibilities other than using it at the start of the lesson. I also think using PowerPoint at the start of the lesson can be a powerful tool but it can be used in so many different ways. Students should be given the opportunity to create their own PowerPoint presentation within the classroom. Goodwyn (2000) states that in producing PowerPoint presentation students need to select, organize and justify points about the text. This experience can also promote collaboration as students can create and present their presentation as a group.

This technology ties in with Kearsley and Schneiderman’s Engagement Theory (1999) as the fundamental idea underlying engagement theory is that students must be meaningfully engaged in learning activities through interaction with others and worthwhile tasks. PowerPoint can assist students in both of these aspects.

Resources

Goodwyn, A (2000) English in the Digital Age: British Library Catalogue; London.

Kearsley, G & Schneiderman, B (1999) Engagement Theory - A framework for technology-based teaching and learning: Accessed August 4th 2009 http://home.sprynet.com/~gkearsley/engage.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment